|Job Title||Chapel and Interpretive Centre|
|Tasks and responsabilities||
Develop Japanese language materials for Japanese visitors and to improve our services to the Japanese wedding market.
|Requirements||Related Job or Education experience|
|About the company||
St. Ann's Academy is an incredible structure with an even more incredible past. Parts of the Academy actually predate Victoria's incorporation as a city and the story of St. Ann's Academy goes back to 1858, when four Sisters of St. Ann and a lay helper arrived in Victoria from Quebec to begin their mission of teaching and health care. Those first Sisters lived and worked in a small log cabin located on the Academy's grounds. The centre section of the building you see today, built in 1871, was Victoria's first four-story masonry building. By 1886, the Academy had expanded with the addition of the east block and the chapel. The Chapel was built in 1858 and served as Victoria's first Roman Catholic Church and cathedral. In 1910, the Hooper or "west" wing of the Academy was constructed, completing the structure now preserved as part of the St. Ann's Academy National Historic site.
For more than a century, St. Ann's Academy flourished as a Catholic girls' school. Primary aged boys were also educated here, and for a time there was a commercial school. As the Provincial House of the Sisters operations in the West, St. Ann's Academy also housed a convent, A Novitiate (where new Sisters received their education and training), and the administrative offices for the Sisters educational, nursing, and missionary work throughout British Columbia, Alaska, and the Yukon. By 1973, declining enrollment and high operating costs forced the closure of St. Ann's Academy. Purchased by the Provincial Government, the building served a variety of uses but its continuing structural decline required its complete closure by the end of the 1980s. In 1993 a self-financing redevelopment plan was initiated with major renovations and restoration taking place between 1995 and 1998.
Today, most of the building is occupied by government offices, but the Chapel and a number of rooms attached to it have been set aside as an Interpretive Centre, while the Auditorium (located at the west end of the building) is used for a variety of community activities including meetings, presentations, and theatrical events.